moa is recruiting for a Weed Scientist
moa Technology Limited is an innovative and rapidly growing R&D crop protection company that is revolutionizing the future of weed control in agriculture. We have recently secured $44m (£35m) in Series B funding to advance a new generation of safe, sustainable, and effective herbicides and help the farmers produce high quality food. To achieve this goal, moa Technology has developed 3 unique and complementary platforms: moa -GALAXY, moa -TARGET, and moa -SELECT.
At moa Technology our mission is to find the new generation of safe and effective herbicides to help farmers produce high quality food for all. To this aim, we have assembled a team of passionate and talented scientists, technician, and operational staff, who respectively design, use and support the use of disruptive technologies that de-risk the herbicide discovery process and favour the development of sustainable crop protection products.
As an organisation, we believe that collectively leveraging our technologies and products for impact goes together with enabling our dedicated staff to fulfil their individual potential.
We value collaborative endeavours, evidence-based decision making and resourcefulness.
Position type: Permanent full-time - 37.5 hours per week
Location: Stockbridge, nr. Leeds,
We are looking for a highly motivated Weed Scientist for our Glasshouse operation.
You will be instrumental to the team by helping to ensure the smooth running of the Laboratory & Glasshouse operation.
You will join the team as part of the wider outsourcing team supporting and managing a range of projects focusing on herbicide resistance management and herbicide efficacy primarily. The role requires good communication skills, you will have demonstrable knowledge of agriculture, horticulture weed management and/or agronomy in the UK. We are seeking individuals who strive to deliver tangible impact.
The post holder will have:
• PhD/MSc in weed or plant science.
• 2 – 5 years experience
• Experience in designing, carrying out and analyzing glasshouse plant trials or field efficacy trials.
• Demonstrable capabilities in managing multiple parallel trials/experiments and delivering time bound results.
• Knowledge of best practices in herbicide resistance screening and testing.
• Help to drive weed biology excellence and continuous improvement with an open and innovative mindset.
• Supervise junior staff and co-ordinate across R&D platforms to produce effective scientific solutions.
• PA1 & PA6
1. Work as part of the Research and Development Team.
2. Work cooperatively within the Research and Development Team, sharing ideas and concepts to achieve stated goals.
3. Design, execute, analyze and troubleshoot experiments, autonomously or in collaboration with the Research and Development Team.
4. Present data to senior staff and in meetings in a clear, understandable manner. Encourage feedback on experiments. Contribute ideas and solutions to all projects within the company.
5. Work alone or as part of a team of scientific staff
6. Maintain accurate records using corporate systems (e.g. electronic laboratory notebooks, QMS)
7. Contribute to reports, SOPs, risk assessments, presentations, reviews and summaries
8. Strictly follow SOPs and risk assessments
9. Keep up to date with relevant scientific and technical developments
10. Research scientist’s role is varied and not restricted to the above and encompasses any activities that facilitate translational science and new scientific discoveries
1. Work flexibly as part of a small Research and Development Team, demonstrating a ‘hands-on’ approach to helping establish the company and a strong work ethic.
2. The company is in a rapid growth trajectory and require highly motivated, independent individuals who can evolve with the needs of the business.
3. Adhere to company work hours, policies, and standard business etiquette.
4. Demonstrate and put into practice scientific expertise daily, including the use of any specialist equipment required.
5. Work independently or part of a project team
6. Self-driven and possesses the initiative to identify new work and seeking out new technology, equipment, and ways of working
7. Show a keen aptitude to problem solving.
8. Accurately keep records as outlined by SOPs and corporate policies, and be suitably proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, inventory management systems and electronic lab notebooks.
9. Communicate and comprehend accurately, clearly, and concisely in verbal and written English at a level required to perform the job as outlined.
- Must be legally able to live and work in the UK.
- Candidates who do not currently live in the Stockbridge area should be able to provide evidence that they can relocate in a timely and safely manner.
- Candidates will be required to send a supporting statement and a CV as part of their application. Their supporting statement must explain how they meet each
of the selection criteria for the post using examples of their skills and experience.
- Salary is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with moa Technology’s pay scales.
- moa Technology is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all candidates irrespective of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion/belief, or age.
Please send a CV and cover letter detailing why you would like to be considered for the role and how you meet the job requirements to email@example.com