moa is recruiting for a Senior Scientist Assay Development - Biochemical Assays
Moa Technology Limited is innovative and rapidly growing R&D crop protection company. At moa Technology our mission is to find the new generation of safe and effective herbicides to help farmers produce high quality food for all. To this aim, we have assembled a team of passionate and talented scientists, technician and operational staff, who respectively design, use and support the use of disruptive technologies that de-risk the herbicide discovery process and favour the development of sustainable crop protection products.
As an organisation, we believe that collectively leveraging our technologies and products for impact goes together with enabling our dedicated staff to fulfil their individual potential. We value collaborative endeavours, evidence-based decision making and resourcefulness.
Position type: Permanent full-time - 37.5 hours per week
Location: The Oxford Science Park, Oxford,
As a senior lab-based scientist, you will help drive scientific and technical innovations in biochemistry to support the discovery and development of innovative new herbicides. Working closely with a multi-disciplinary team of scientists at the forefront of translational science, you will be responsible for developing, refining, and performing biochemical assays to support moa’s internal herbicide discovery programmes.
You will have hands-on research expertise and a proven track record of delivering a variety of biochemical/biophysical assays for plant targets and will understand the requirements for these technologies in supporting the target discovery process.
The position provides an exciting opportunity to implement and apply cutting edge biochemical assays in a stimulating environment, to support and accelerate herbicide target identification and validation work.
1. Validate/characterise models at the biochemical and molecular levels (including but not limited to enzyme/biochemical assays, kinetics, fluorescence, FRET, fluorescence polarization).
2. Test and characterise the effects of small molecule inhibitors on the assays generated (i.e. plant/cell line activity, context specificity, resistance, etc). The ability to troubleshoot issues with assay performance will be required.
3. Depending on research project needs, be responsible for the development and execution of follow-up and/or novel assays, including secondary, filtering, and orthogonal assays to validate primary hits to identify and validate novel targets, new biological mechanisms, and novel biomarkers.
4. Training and transfer of biochemical technologies to other members of the biology and chemistry groups.
5. Keep abreast of pertinent scientific literature in the plant biochemical assays field to identify and implement new technologies and help establish infrastructure (internal/ external) to enable strategy implementation and execution. Self-motivation and critical thinking are essential.
6. Directly contribute to moa’s discovery activities and ensure delivery of company and department objectives in a timely and efficient manner.
7. Work collaboratively within an inter-disciplinary team including Chemistry, Safety, Biology, Weed biology and/or CROs to validate assays, targets and explore potential of candidate molecules. The ability to work in close collaboration with external partners including AgTech companies will be necessary.
8. Effectively prepare manuscripts and present results and conclusions at project meetings to co-workers and senior leadership, as well as for other internal/external parties as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
· PhD in biochemistry/ biophysics enzymology or equivalent academic/industrial experience
· Highly motivated, creative and results-driven individual with demonstrated experience in biochemistry or biophysics.
· Ability to establish laboratory best practises and work independently on several concurrent projects in a fast-paced, goal-oriented environment.
· Capacity to learn new skills and willing to take on responsibilities within and beyond the core function.
· Have the flexibility and ability to work on several projects simultaneously and to meet tight deadlines.
· A desire to work in a high paced and collaborative team environment.
· Work flexibly, demonstrating a ‘hands-on’ approach and a strong work ethic.
moa is committed to building a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. We recognize that diverse and inclusive teams build a stronger and more innovative company. Therefore, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability status, marital status, or veteran status
Must be legally able to live and work in the UK
Please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org