moa is recruiting for a Senior Scientist – Biochemist- Plant Biology
Moa Technology Limited is innovative and rapidly growing R&D crop protection company. At moa Technology our mission is to find the new generation of safe and effective herbicides to help farmers produce high quality food for all. To this aim, we have assembled a team of passionate and talented scientists, technician and operational staff, who respectively design, use and support the use of disruptive technologies that de-risk the herbicide discovery process and favour the development of sustainable crop protection products.
As an organisation, we believe that collectively leveraging our technologies and products for impact goes together with enabling our dedicated staff to fulfil their individual potential. We value collaborative endeavours, evidence-based decision making and resourcefulness.
Position type: Permanent full-time - 37.5 hours per week
Location: The Oxford Science Park, Oxford,
As Senior Scientist, you will be involved in developing and perform biochemical assays to support our internal programmes. You will contribute to the identification and development of novel herbicides whilst working closely with a multi-disciplinary team of scientists, at the forefront of translational science, with the aim of discovering and developing innovative new herbicides. The position provides an exciting opportunity to implement and apply cutting biochemical and molecular biology assays in a stimulating environment, to support and accelerate both target identification and validation work.
You will have hands-on research expertise and a proven track record of delivery of biochemical/molecular biology assays for plant targets. You will have developed a variety of biochemical/molecular biology assays and will understand the needs for these technologies in supporting unmet needs in plant biology
1. Directly contribute to our discovery activities and ensure delivery of company and department objectives in a timely and efficient manner.
2. Design and conduct biochemical/molecular biology experiments to identify and validate novel targets, new biological mechanisms and novel biomarkers with the potential to translate into herbicides with novel mode of action.
3. Be responsible for the development and execution of follow-up studies including secondary, filtering and orthogonal assays to validate primary hits. The ability to troubleshoot issues with assay performance will be required.
4. Depending on the research project need, be responsible for generating novel assay technologies to answer critical milestones for internal programmes
5. Keep abreast of pertinent scientific literature in the plant biochemical/molecular biology assays field in order to recommend new process/procedure as needed. You will be expected to drive scientific and technical innovation.
6. Validate/characterise such models at the biochemical and molecular, levels (including but not limited to enzyme/biochemical assays, kinetics, fluorescence, FRET, fluorescence polarization…). When applicable, test and characterise the effects of small molecule inhibitors on the assays generated (i.e. plant/cell line activity, context specificity, resistance, etc).
7. Be responsible for the validation of novel targets, mode of action and plant studies to elucidate potential mechanism(s) of action at the cellular and molecular level and subsequent herbicide discovery efforts.
8. Independently define and execute best experimental strategies and lab operations to deliver interpretable data to test hypothesis, address scientific questions or technical problems and progress projects. Self-motivation and critical thinking are essential.
9. Identify and implement new technologies and help establish infrastructure (internal/ external) to enable strategy implementation and execution.
10. Work collaboratively within an inter-disciplinary team including Chemistry, Safety, Biology, Weed biology and/or CROs to validate assays, targets and explore potential of candidate molecules.
11. Have the flexibility and ability to work on several projects simultaneously and to meet tight deadlines, as well as a desire to work in a high paced and collaborative team environment. The ability to work in close collaboration with external partners including Ag-Tech companies will be necessary/expected.
12. Effectively present results and conclusions at project meetings to co-workers and senior leadership, as well as for other internal/external parties and venues as needed.
13. Preparation of manuscripts on scientific work for internal or external communication.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
· PhD in biochemistry/molecular biology/enzymology or equivalent academic/industrial experience
· Highly motivated, creative and results-driven individual with demonstrated experience in biochemistry and molecular biology.
· Establish best practises within the laboratory and work independently onseveral concurrent projects in a fast-paced, goal-oriented environment.
· Training and transfer of biochemical/molecular biology technologies too their members of the biology and chemistry groups.
· Capacity to learn new skills and willing to take on responsibilities within and beyond the core function.
· Work flexibly, demonstrating a ‘hands-on’ approach and a strong work ethic.
moa is committed to building a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. We recognize that diverse and inclusive teams build a stronger and more innovative company. Therefore, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability status, marital status, or veteran status
Must be legally able to live and work in the UK
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com