moa is recruiting for a Horticultural Assistant
Moa Technology Limited is innovative and rapidly growing R&D crop protection company. At moa Technology our mission is to find the new generation of safe and effective herbicides to help farmers produce high quality food for all. To this aim, we have assembled a team of passionate and talented scientists, technician and operational staff, who respectively design, use and support the use of disruptive technologies that de-risk the herbicide discovery process and favour the development of sustainable crop protection products.
As an organisation, we believe that collectively leveraging our technologies and products for impact goes together with enabling our dedicated staff to fulfil their individual potential. We value collaborative endeavours, evidence-based decision making and resourcefulness.
Position type: Permanent full-time - 37.5 hours per week
Location: The Oxford Science Park, Oxford,
· Prepare growing medias, fill pots and plug module trays weekly.
· Complete all aspects of plant husbandry; sowing, watering, transplanting, weeding and discarding waste plants.
· Assist in all aspects of the logistics of the trial workflow in the glasshouse.
· Perform other general horticultural duties as required, including support to our team of project scientists.
· Carry out task as required to produce plants for herbicide trials; General plant husbandry, preparing growing media sowing seeds watering plants – 75 %
· Label and arrange plants – 10%
· Grade and sort plants as required – 15%
As part of normal duties there will be some manual handling, bending and reaching.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Knowledge of working with plants and a good understanding of growing plants in glasshouses, experience working in garden centres, watering, transplanting, weeding glasshouses/gardens.
• Basic knowledge of monitoring glasshouse pests and diseases.
• Computer literate with good communication skills.
• Experience in working with plants, breaking seed dormancy, various horticultural techniques.
• Experience working with Microsoft packages, MS Word, Excel, etc
• PA1 & PA6 spraying certificates.
• Flexibility of work time/work pattern during summer months.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
• Manual handing of moving plants, pots and trays around the glasshouse (within normal handling limits)
• An extremely strong work ethic and willingness to learn on the job.
• A practical problem solver with stamina and an unrelenting passion for plants.
• Honesty, openness and a team player mentality.
You can -
Work proactively in a dynamic team and people from diverse backgrounds.
Actively listen and effectively communicator.
Highly motivated, resilient, and organised with an ability to meet deadlines.
Keen to evolve with the changing needs of the business on a rapid growth trajectory.
Adhere to company ethics, work hours, policies, and standard business etiquette.
moa is committed to building a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. We recognize that diverse and inclusive teams build a stronger and more innovative company. Therefore, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability status, marital status, or veteran status
Must be legally able to live and work in the UK
Please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org