moa is recruiting for a High-Content Image and Data Analysis Senior Scientist/Expert- HC phenotypic screening- moa GALAXY
moa’s mission is to find a new generation of safe and effective herbicides to help farmers produce high quality food. To achieve this goal, we have developed 3 unique and complementary platforms: moa-GALAXY, moa-TARGET and moa-SELECT. The post-holder will be part of the moa-GALAXY team.
moa-GALAXY is a unique proprietary, in vivo High Throughput Screening (HTS)and High-Content Imaging (HCI) platform for finding herbicides with new modes of action. We use state-of-the-art screening and imaging technologies to generate a wide range of herbicidal activity data.
We have an exciting opportunity for a talented, highly motivated Senior Scientist to join the moa GALAXY team. The successful applicant will work on novel projects to accelerate the characterization of potential new herbicide modes of action. We are seeking a highly experienced hands-on HCI and data analyst with a strong background in image data preparation, standardization, exploratory data analysis, and statistical analysis to take ownership of some of our strategically important projects. The post-holder needs to be a dependable team player who combines robust technical analytical skills with drive and curiosity. This position will provide many opportunities for someone to continue to develop their skillset and progress within their career.
Candidates with excellent analytical skills, solid experience in operating high-content imagers applying commercial or bespoke software packages and data analysis are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position type: Permanent full-time - 37.5 hours per week
Location: The Oxford Science Park, Oxford,
Under the responsibility of the GALAXY platform leader the successful candidate will oversee the following tasks:
- Delivery of data models designed to drive the interrogation of datasets for insights into the discovery of novel herbicide MOA. These entail among others, the application of specialized approaches in classification, clustering, and image analysis.
- Provide expert knowledge and guidance to team members on image acquisition systems such as the HT.ai, IN Cell Analyzer or Operetta CLS.
- Identify and implement innovative solutions applicable to high-content imaging paradigms.
- Evaluate and deploy analytic tools for image processing, analysis, quantification, and interactive image visualization.
- Participate in shaping the infrastructure of the imaging platform to support company growth and diversification.
- Support multiple projects on high-content image acquisition and quantitative analysis of image data.
- Be responsible to collect, analyse, store, and interpret data to enable project progression.
- Ensure experiments are recorded accurately and meticulously in electronic notebooks and databases to allow efficient data retrieval and query.
- Contribute to proof-of-concept studies to identify technical challenges and recommend suitable solutions.
- Validate analysis protocols from new assays, enabling their integration into standard workflows.
- Recommend innovative methods applied to high-content image-based assays.
- Generate SOPs, data reports and present findings to a broad range of audiences.
- Contribute to wider project planning and generate new research projects.
- Provide career mentorship to junior image data scientists.
- Contribute to a culture that values impactful scientific discoveries and encourages personal development.
- Hold a PhD/DPhil, in a biological discipline and/or a data science in biological research background with evidence of solid knowledge in image and data analysis. At least 3 years of experience in academia or pharmaceutical/biotech/ CRO organization. Alternatively, a master’s degree with 5+ years of experience in using imagers and applying software for image and data analysis will also be considered.
- Proven experience in high-content phenotypic analysis, either through genetic or drug discovery approaches.
- Confirmed experience of delivering high-content image analysis and data analysis using relevant commercial or open-source software packages. Script writing ability is expected.
- Excellent analytical skills with a demonstrable ability to work independently to design experiments and workflows, interpret data and problem solve
- A solid foundation in advanced data analysis for biostatistics.
- Fluent in ImageJ/Fiji, R or Python programming.
- Proven ability to handle large datasets and automate workflows.
- Proven ability to analyse and interpret complex phenotypic data.
- Proven track record of successful delivery of scientific projects demonstrating the use of advanced high-throughput imaging platforms.
- Experience in managing technical and scientific staff.
- Effective communication skills both in writing and at meetings with relevant stakeholders.
- Key behaviour:
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively and to steer fast-paced projects.
- Ability to prioritize projects and daily activities.
- Strong organisational skills to enable planning of work on multiple projects.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Pro-active and positive problem-solving mindset.
- Be enthused by the science and moa’s vision.
- Be adaptable. The company is in a rapid growth trajectory and requires individuals who can evolve with the needs of the business.
- Have an excellent work ethic, display a prominent level of professionalism and be reliable.
- Adhere to company’s policies and standard business etiquette.
- Must be legally able to live and work in the UK.
- Candidates who do not currently live in the Oxford area should be able to provide evidence that they can relocate in a timely and safely manner.
- Candidates will be required to send a supporting statement and a CV as part of their application. Their supporting statement must explain how they meet each of the selection criteria for the post using examples of their skills and experience.
- Salary is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with moa Technology’s pay scales.
- moa Technology is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all candidates irrespective of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion/belief, or age.
Please send a CV and cover letter detailing why you would like to be considered for the role and how you meet the job requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org