moa is recruiting for a Associate Seed Scientist - Yorkshire
Moa Technology Limited is innovative and rapidly growing R&D crop protection company. At moa Technology our mission is to find the new generation of safe and effective herbicides to help farmers produce high quality food for all. To this aim, we have assembled a team of passionate and talented scientists, technician and operational staff, who respectively design, use and support the use of disruptive technologies that de-risk the herbicide discovery process and favour the development of sustainable crop protection products.
As an organisation, we believe that collectively leveraging our technologies and products for impact goes together with enabling our dedicated staff to fulfil their individual potential. We value collaborative endeavours, evidence-based decision making and resourcefulness.
Position type: Permanent full-time - 37.5 hours per week
Location: Selby, Yorkshire,
Undertake a full range of steps in the efficacy testing cascade in our glasshouse facility which may include:
• Assessment of treatment effects and after applying the chemicals and collecting data.
• Assist in the monitoring of pests and diseases in the glasshouse.
• Analysis and interpretation of efficacy data and upload to secure cloud storage
• Management of the seed catalogue, monitor seed stocks, ensuring good supply, and assisting in methods to improve germination rates.
• Contribute to ensuring glasshouse HSE standards are adhered to.
• From time to time you may be required to undertake a full range of glasshouse activities including if demand is higher in the glasshouse which includes general plant husbandry including filling pots, sowing seeds, watering.
This role is not restricted to the above and encompasses any support activities that facilitate the smooth running of the glasshouse efficacy testing operations. These activities will evolve as the team expands.
As the company grows, your role could vary as required to support further operational and support functions.
1) Delivery of glasshouse efficacy trials – sowing, watering, spray applications, assessments, photo capturing – 80%
2) Desk based work, including data management and quality checks – 20%
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· BSc degree in agronomy or plant science however candidates with experience in a horticultural setting will be considered
· Experience in the scientific agricultural or horticultural context
· Awareness of growth and care requirements of plant material in the glasshouse
· Computer literate with excellent communication skills
· Experience working with various MSWord, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, MS Teams/Zoom etc
· Experience in working in cross functional teams to deliver collaborative goals
· PA1 & PA6 Pesticide application qualifications
· FACTs or BASIS in agriculture or horticulture
· Knowledge of the fundamental principles of herbicide chemistry and modes of action
· Experience working with pesticides
· Experience in high throughput screening
· Working knowledge of project management processes and procedures
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
• Able to move plants, pots and trays around the glasshouse, within normal manual handling limits
• An extremely strong work ethic and willingness to learn on the job.
• A practical problem solver with stamina and an unrelenting passion for plants.
• Cataloguing and organisation of seed stocks.
• Honesty, openness and a team player.
You can -
Work autonomously and proactively in a dynamic team and people from diverse backgrounds.
Actively listen and effectively communicate on complex scientific topics.
Meet deadlines, demonstrating awareness of realistic time requirements for yourself and the team.
Highly motivated, resilient, and organised.
Flag up concerns and come up with proactive solutions.
Keen to evolve with the changing needs of the business on a rapid growth trajectory.
Adhere to company ethics, work hours, policies, and standard business etiquette.
Size of Team – 12
Other Requirements (travel, languages etc) – Occasional travel to the Oxford site
moa is committed to building a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. We recognize that diverse and inclusive teams build a stronger and more innovative company. Therefore, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability status, marital status, or veteran status
Must be legally able to live and work in the UK
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com