Senior Research Technician – Target ID
MoA Technology Limited (“MoA”) is a spin-out company from Oxford University.
At MoA Technology our mission is to find a new generation of safe and effective herbicides to help farmers produce high quality food.
To this aim, we have developed three innovative in vivo discovery platforms that are based on cutting-edge science in the fields of genetics, trait analysis and data analytics: MoA GALAXYTM, MoA TARGETTM and MoA SELECTTM.
Position type: Permanent full-time - 37.5 hours per week
Location: BioEscalator, Innovation Building, Roosevelt Drive, Oxford, OX3 7FZ
Role and responsibilities
MoA-TARGETTM is based on a proprietary in vivo plant technology designed to identify and characterize new modes of action, essential for developing safe and effective active ingredients to control weeds. The post-holder will be working as part of our innovative and collaborative Research and Development Team and will be responsible for key tasks such as: (i) generation and characterization of mutant plant lines, (ii) assessment of phytotoxic effects of compounds in plant species, and (iii) progression of hit compounds for development of optimal weed control chemistries.
- Maintain and propagate wild type and mutant plant lines in axenic cultures.
- Generate new mutant plant lines though stable plant transformation.
- Extract DNA from plant tissue and bacterial cultures.
- Genotype and phenotype new mutant plant lines.
- Assist senior staff with bacterial transformations and bacterial genotyping.
- Perform phytotoxicity screening of compounds on different weed species.
- Assess phytotoxicity using established phenotypic traits.
- Maintain own media and stock solutions.
- Plan and organise the experimental work independently.
- Deliver data to senior staff in a clear and organized manner and maintain accurate records using corporate systems (e.g. electronic laboratory notebooks, QMS).
- Work cooperatively with both chemists and biologists across platforms.
- Contribute with technical solutions, ideas and concepts.
- Always maintain good laboratory practices.
- Contribute to reports, SOPs, risk assessments and presentations.
- Strictly follow SOPs and risk assessments.
- Keep up to date with relevant scientific and technical developments.
- This role is varied and not restricted to the above and encompasses any activities that facilitate translational science and new scientific discoveries.
Education & experience:
The post-holder will have:
- Education to degree level (or equivalent) in a biology or life sciences subject (MSc degree desirable).
- At least 3 years hands-on experience working in a biology laboratory.
- Experience working with plants (essential).
- Experience in molecular biology (desirable).
- Be attentive to detail.
- Be able to work independently and under minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate a ‘hands-on’ approach and a strong work ethic.
- The company is in a rapid growth trajectory and requires highly motivated, independent individuals who are keen to evolve with the needs of the business.
- Demonstrate and put into practice technical expertise on a daily basis, including the use of any specialist equipment required.
- Work independently or as part of a project team.
- Adhere to company work hours, policies, and standard business etiquette.
- Self-driven and possesses the initiative to identify new work and seek out new technology, equipment, and ways of working.
- Show a keen aptitude to problem solving.
- Accurately keep records as outlined by SOPs and corporate policies, and be suitably proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, inventory management systems and electronic lab notebooks.
- Communicate and comprehend accurately, clearly and concisely in verbal and written English at a level required to perform the job as outlined.
In addition, MoA Technology is strongly committed to the safety of its employees and in the current COVID-19 climate has taken measures that require the post-holder to:
- Work flexible hours and be open to work weekends, early mornings (~7-9am) or evenings (~7-10pm), in order to maintain social distancing.
- As the Government relaxes safe social distancing rules and allows a return to normal working practices we will also revert to our normal working arrangements (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm).
- This is not available as a remote working opportunity.
MoA Technology is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all candidates irrespective of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion/belief or age.
Must be legally able to live and work in the UK
Please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org