Screening and Automation Research Technician – MoA GALAXY
MoA Technology Limited (“MoA”) is a spin-out company from Oxford University.
At MoA Technology our mission is to find a new generation of safe and effective herbicides to help farmers produce high quality food.
To this aim, we have developed three innovative in vivo discovery platforms that are based on cutting-edge science in the fields of genetics, trait analysis and data analytics: MoA GALAXYTM, MoA TARGETTM and MoA SELECTTM.
Position type: Temporary to permanent (initial 6 months) full-time - 37.5 hours per week
Location: BioEscalator, Innovation Building, Roosevelt Drive, Oxford, OX3 7FZ
Role and responsibilities
The post-holder will be part of the MoA GALAXYTM team.
MoA GALAXYTMis a ground-breaking, proprietary, in vivo HTS platform for finding herbicides with new modes of action. We use state of the art screening and imaging technologies to generate a wide range of herbicidal activity data. We are looking for an enthusiastic and technically skilful individual with a can-do attitude to join our team. Your responsibilities will include:
- Execute manual and/or automated in vivo HTS assays for the identification of molecules with herbicidal activity and new mode of action.
- Conduct compound screening and profiling utilizing state-of-the art imaging tools.
- Assist in running a vibrant HTS laboratory.
- Design new liquid handling automation protocols.
- Provide support to users of the HTS instrumentation.
- Analyse large datasets using a combination of specialised data analysis software and human-assisted interpretation to identify and prioritise compounds for lead progression through the development pipeline.
- Maintain accurate and timely records of laboratory work (e.g. electronic lab notebooks).
- Clearly communicate results, successes and issues.
- Contribute to reports, SOPs, risk assessments and lab meetings.
- Work cooperatively across multidisciplinary teams.
Education & experience:
The post-holder will have:
- Education to degree level (or equivalent) in a biology or life sciences subject (MSc degree desirable).
- At least 1 year hands-on experience working in a biology laboratory or a flare for scientific endeavours. Some industrial experience would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of biological safety requirements in tissue culture facilities and asceptic technique.
- Computer literacy and data handling.
- Know-how and high precision in operating laboratory liquid dispensers.
- Experience in programming and troubleshooting laboratory liquid handling robots.
- Experience in phenotypic and/or high throughput screeening (advantageous).
- Experience working with plants (beneficial but not essential).
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Strong analytical skills in practical laboratory techniques.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proactive and positive problem-solving mindset.
- Ability to work in a safe manner at all times ensuring procedures and SOPs are followed.
- Confident attitude towards the safe handling of potentially hazardous chemical compounds.
- Experience in the analysis of high throughput data and/or cellular imaging data (advantageous).
- Strong organisational skills. The post-holder will be able to work independently under minimal supervision.
- Be enthused by the science and MoA Technology’s vision.
- Be adaptable. The company is in a rapid growth trajectory and requires individuals who can evolve with the needs of the business.
- Be a good colleague: the platforms are very collaborative and require a team player prepared for cross-platform collaboration.
- Be a keen learner. The company will provide the training needed to succeed in the role and will support personal development activities.
- Be able to comprehend and follow basic instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English.
- Maintain good laboratory practices at all times.
- Have a good work ethic, display a high level of professionalism and be reliable.
- Adhere to company’s policies and standard business etiquette.
In addition, MoA Technology is strongly committed to the safety of its employees and in the current COVID-19 climate has taken measures that require the post-holder to:
- Work flexible hours and be open to work weekends, early mornings (~7-9am) or evenings (~7-10pm), in order to maintain social distancing.
- As the Government relaxes safe social distancing rules and allows a return to normal working practices we will also revert to our normal working arrangements (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm).
- This is not available as a remote working opportunity.
MoA Technology is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all candidates irrespective of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion/belief or age.
Must be legally able to live and work in the UK
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com