Scientist/Senior Research Technician - MoA SELECT
MoA Technology Limited (“MoA”) is a spin-out company from Oxford University's Plant Sciences Department. MoA Tech's in vivo herbicide discovery platforms are based on cutting-edge science in the fields of genetics, trait analysis and data analytics.
Position type: Temporary to permanent (six months initially) full-time - 37.5 hours per week
Location: BioEscalator, Innovation Building, Roosevelt Drive, Oxford, OX3 7FZ
Role and responsibilities:
MoA Technology’s mission is to find a new generation of safe and effective herbicides to help farmers produce high quality food. To achieve this goal, MoA Technology has developed three unique and complementary platforms: MoA GALAXYTM, MoA-TARGETTM and MoA-SELECTTM. The post-holder will be part of the MoA-SELECTTM team.
MoA-SELECTTM is a research-focused platform employing a hypothesis-driven approach, to identify herbicidal compounds with new desirable modes of action. Building on the success of the platform, we are expanding our capabilities and looking for a resourceful, enthusiastic and bright individual to carry out the following tasks:
- Design and clone plasmids.
- Generate, genotype, maintain and propagate plant lines.
- Screen libraries of compounds.
- Use a combination of specialised software and manual phenotyping to analyse large datasets. Help make recommendations to bring promising compounds down the selection pipeline.
- Develop new techniques for the study and use of the company’s plant model system.
- Optimise, troubleshoot and write protocols.
- Manage and maintain media, buffers and stocks.
- Keep up to date with the relevant literature and latest developments in the field.
- Clearly communicate results, successes and issues.
- Maintain accurate records (e.g. electronic laboratory notebooks, QMS).
- Contribute to reports, SOPs, risk assessments, lab meetings, etc.
- Supervise and train interns or colleagues from other platforms.
- Work cooperatively with both chemists and biologists across platforms.
Education & experience:
The post-holder will have:
- An MRes or PhD degree in a biological or life science discipline.
- At least 3 years hands-on experience working in a biology laboratory.
- Experience with cell biology techniques and data analysis (desirable).
- Experience working with plants (beneficial but not essential).
In addition, MoA-Technology is strongly committed to the safety of their employees and in the current COVID-19 climate, have taken measures that require the post-holder to:
Live in the Oxford area and have means to commute. Candidates who do not currently live in the Oxford area should be able to provide evidence that they can relocate in a timely and safely manner.
Work flexible hours and be opened to work weekends, early mornings (~7-9am) or evenings (~7-10pm), in order to maintain social distancing. As the Government relaxes safe social distancing rules and allows a return to normal working practices we will also revert to our normal working arrangements (Mon-Fri, 9am -5pm).
The ideal candidate will:
- Be skilled in practical laboratory techniques.
- Have strong planning and organisation skills. The post-holder will be able to work independently under minimal supervision.
- Have an excellent eye for detail.
- Be enthused by the science and MoA Technology’s vision.
- Be adaptable. The company is in a rapid growth trajectory and requires individuals who can evolve with the needs of the business.
- Be a good colleague: the platforms are very collaborative and require a team player.
- Be resilient and resourceful, have a daring and can-do attitude. MoA SELECTTM tackles very exciting, high risk/high gain projects which may have their challenges.
- Be a keen learner. The company will provide the training needed to succeed in the role and will support personal development activities.
- Be able to comprehend and follow basic instructions.
- Be able to communicate in verbal and written English at a level required to perform the job as outlined.
- Maintain good laboratory practices at all times.
- Have a good work ethic, display a high level of professionalism and be reliable.
- Adhere to company’s policies and standard business etiquette.
MoA Technology is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all candidates irrespective of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion/belief or age.
Must be legally able to live and work in the UK
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com