Position type: Permanent full-time - 37.5 hours per week
Location: BioEscalator, Innovation Building, Roosevelt Drive, Oxford, OX3 7FZ
Role and responsibilities
MoA Technology's mission is to find a new generation of safe and effective herbicides to help farmers produce high quality food. To achieve this goal, MoA-Technology has developed three unique and complementary platforms: MoA GALAXYTM, MoA TARGETTM and MoA SELECTTM.
The primary objectives will be scientific and technical in nature, and the role will be partially laboratory based. The candidate will be leading compound management including purchases, sample preparation, and logistics. Additionally, the candidate will work as part of a Chemistry team to maintain and improve workflows around data management and analysis. The candidate will have the opportunity to develop skills in designing both biological molecules and synthetic routes to novel targets.
Key scientific and technical accountabilities
- Managing in-house compound collections and compound logistics, whilst liaising with both compound suppliers and contract research organisations.
- Preparing samples and assay plates for internal and external biological testing.
- Optimising and updating databases, both for compound management and biological data storage and analysis.
- Contributing to design of biologically active molecules. You will be working with senior scientists at the interface of chemistry, biology and data science to deliver agrochemical products.
- Identification and acquisition of both synthetic and natural chemical libraries.
- Assisting with patent preparation, working closely with synthetic chemists and IP attorneys to help secure novel IP
- Collaborate with chemists, biologists, geneticists, computational scientists, IP attorneys and external organizations
In addition, MoA-Technology is strongly committed to the safety of its employees and in the current COVID-19 climate, has taken measures that require the post-holder to:
- Live in the Oxford area and have means to commute. Candidates who do not currently live in the Oxford area should be able to provide evidence that they can relocate in a timely and safe manner.
- Work flexible hours and be opened to work weekends, early mornings (~7-9am) or evenings (~7-10pm), in order to maintain social distancing. As the Government relaxes safe social distancing rules and allows a return to normal working practices we will also revert to our normal working arrangements (Mon-Fri, 9am -5pm).
The post-holder will have:
- BSc or equivalent degree in chemistry, medicinal chemistry, biochemistry or similar discipline
- Experience at an agrochemical, pharmaceutical or biotechnology company would be advantageous but not required
- Good understanding of chemical structures and organic chemistry
- Knowledge and experience in laboratory work
- Competency in IT including MS Excel and a desire to learn more complex software (e.g. Knime)
- Passionate about discovering and bringing novel agriproducts to market
- Enthusiastic about science and working in a fast-paced high-tech company
- Collaborative and revels in the opportunity to work in a multi-disciplinary team
- Proactive, self-starter - resourceful, resilient, determined – a confident problem solver
- Enormous capacity to learn new skills and willing to take on responsibilities within and beyond the core Chemistry function.
- Work flexibly as part of an early stage R&D Team, demonstrating a ‘hands-on’ approach to helping establish the company and a strong work ethic.
- The company is in a rapid growth trajectory and requires highly motivated individuals who can evolve with the needs of the business. In return, the company can offer the right individuals with unparalleled opportunity to progress and expand their skills and knowledge base.
MoA Technology is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all candidates irrespective of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion/belief or age.
Must be legally able to live and work in the UK
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com