Research Technician – MoA TARGET
MoA Technology Limited is a spin-out company from Oxford University.
At MoA Technology our mission is to find a new generation of safe and effective herbicides to help farmers produce high quality food. To this aim, the company has developed three innovative in vivo discovery platforms that are based on cutting-edge science in the fields of genetics, trait analysis and data analytics: MoA GALAXYTM, MoA TARGETTM and MoA SELECTTM.
MoA TARGETTM is based on a proprietary in vivo plant technology designed to identify and characterize new modes of action, essential to developing safe and effective active ingredients to control weeds.
Position type: Temporary to permanent (6 months initially) full-time - 37.5 hours per week
Location: The Bellhouse Building, The Magdalen Centre, 1 Robert Robinson Avenue, The Oxford Science Park, Oxford OX4 4GA
Role and responsibilities
We are looking for an experienced biology technician to work as part of the MoA TARGETTM innovative and collaborative R&D team. You will be mainly laboratory based and, alongside others, you will take part in a diversity of experimental phases of our pipeline. We are seeking individuals who strive to work cooperatively and to deliver high standard research in a timely manner. Your primary role will be to consistently perform a set of biology techniques in plant cells in order to (i) generate, (ii) maintain and (iii) characterize mutant plant lines.
- Characterize promising compounds for further screenings.
- Generate plant lines using a diversity of genetics methods.
- Phenotype plant lines grown in axenic cultures.
- Maintain and propagate plant lines of interest in axenic cultures.
- Extract high quality gDNA/RNA from plant tissue.
- Assist senior staff with molecular cloning technical support.
- Plan and perform experimental work in an organised manner.
- Deliver data to senior staff in a clear and organized manner and maintain accurate records using corporate systems (e.g. electronic laboratory notebooks, QMS).
- Work cooperatively within the team, sharing technical solutions, ideas and concepts to achieve stated goals.
- Work cooperatively with lab management, chemists and biologists across platforms.
- Always maintain good laboratory practices.
- Contribute to reports, SOPs, risk assessments and presentations.
- Strictly follow SOPs and risk assessments.
- This role is not restricted to the above and encompasses any activities that facilitate translational science and new scientific discoveries.
- As the company grows, your role could vary as required to support further cell and molecular biology activities.
Education & experience:
The post-holder will have:
- Education to degree level (or equivalent) in a biology or life sciences subject (MSc degree desirable).
- At least 1 year's hands-on experience working in a biology laboratory.
- Experience in tissue culture and aseptic techniques.
- Good understanding of chemical calculations.
- Experience in mutagenesis and screening for mutants (desirable).
- Experience in molecular biology techniques; i.e., DNA/RNA isolation, PCR, cloning. (desirable).
- Experience of plant husbandry (desirable).
- Be attentive to detail and have good problem-solving ability.
- Be comfortable working as part of a dynamic team and people from diverse backgrounds.
- Be able to work independently and under minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate a ‘hands-on’ approach to helping establish the company.
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic.
- The company is in a rapid growth trajectory and requires highly motivated, independent individuals who are keen to evolve with the needs of the business.
- Demonstrate and put into practice technical expertise on a daily basis, including the use of any specialist equipment required.
- Adhere to company work hours, policies, and standard business etiquette.
- Accurately keep records as outlined by SOPs and corporate policies, and be suitably proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, inventory management systems and electronic lab notebooks.
- Communicate and comprehend accurately, clearly and concisely in verbal and written English at a level required to perform the job as outlined.
In addition, MoA-Technology is strongly committed to the safety of their employees and in the current COVID-19 climate, have taken measures that require the post-holder to:
- Live in the Oxford area and have means to commute. Candidates who do not currently live in the Oxford area should be able to provide evidence that they can relocate in a timely and safe manner.
- Work flexible hours and be opened to work weekends, early mornings (~7-9am) or evenings (~7-10pm), in order to maintain social distancing. As the Government relaxes safe social distancing rules and allows a return to normal working practices we will also revert to our normal working arrangements (Mon-Fri, 9am -5pm).
Must be legally able to live and work in the UK
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com